Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Nice To Know You....Goodbye

It's been pretty evident to everyone and their mama that the economy is for shit right now. Working at a nonprofit, things have been especially tight...especially working at a nonprofit that is predominately funded by corporate America, like Goldman Sachs, Merrill Lynch, et. al. The Executive Director of our office told my coworker and me the other day just how much trouble we were in -- at least $100K in the red for our office with only about a month left in the fiscal year.

I got an email last week from one of our VPs from our headquarters in NYC wanting to meet with me today and the email didn't sit well at all. I was agonizing about it since the moment it arrived. Apparently, my Spidey-senses were on point because I was laid off. My boss was also laid off, leaving only 1 person (who is part time to boot!) left working in the LA office. I was shockingly calm. Perhaps it was knowing that I'm leaving for law school shortly? Perhaps it was receiving a severance payout equal to when I was planning to quit anyway? So yeah, now I'm getting paid for the same time frame as I was planning to work, but now I don't have to get up early or deal with bullshit. Sounds like a total win to me! In all, there were something like 10 other people laid off today, in addition to others who have been let go over the last couple of months. It's a lot when we have no more than 50-60 employees! The future of the LA office is in jeopardy -- they'll finish up the end of the school year and then re-evaluate.

The only bummer is that I wish I could have gone out in a blaze of glory. I dream of one day being able to peace out and say, "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!" Since I was robbed of the opportunity to do so, there's one person that deserved a special shout out that I'll give here:

Maynard - fuck you. You're an idiot, a terrible teacher, and a pain in my ass. You talk to women as if they were only there for your personal amusement and pleasure and otherwise less than you. You're the worst kind of human being. You might fool people with your BS, but I can see right through you. You do your kids a disservice and if I was a parent, I'd be at the district office every day to complain about you. Pro tip: sitting at your desk and playing on your computer (or whatever you're doing since you're awful about returning business-related emails) and schmoozing with the general public does absolutely NOTHING to teach your kids. Do your fucking job!

5 people testified:

weezermonkey said...

I love your last sentence?

Why?

DYFJ was an acronym that we used often at my old firm.

Feminist Gold Digger said...

Ironically, my husband once worked for a psychopath named Maynard as well.

10yearstogether said...

At first I was sad for you about your job and now I see you got so lucky! I want to be you right now!

Winnie said...

How did I just find your blog?? I'm so. damn. slow. Anyway, think of it as a very nice and relaxing break before law school begins :)

amber said...

Sucks to be laid off, but it sounds like it's a perfect fit into your plan for the next couple of months. :)