Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Haters: Traitors to the Human Race

I planned for my first blog post back from the Memorial Day weekend to talk about the fab wedding I attended, complete with (crappy) pictures. Instead, I think that yesterday's events deserve more attention. The California Supreme Court has decided by a pretty large margin that my loved ones are not allowed to get married. I am more than a little surprised and disappointed, but there were some good signs amidst the ruling yesterday. For starters, the dissenting Justice Carlos Moreno said the ruling was "not just a defeat for same-sex couples, but for any minority group that seeks the protection of the equal protection clause of the California Constitution." He then goes on to say, "[I]t places at risk the state constitutional rights of all disfavored minorities."

I haven't sat to read the hundred plus pages of opinions written by the Court, but I intend to do so one day (if law school hasn't killed my will to read cases at some point).

I knew there would be protests and rallies galore last night, so it made me smile a bit when I got an email with links to pictures from a rally in the Bay Area last night, courtesy of my Uncle Rick. I wrote about him on a previous blog, so see if you can pick out which guy he is in two of the pics :)

www.shutterfly.com/pro/jidesign/052609

I'd have put the pics here myself, but they're copyright protected. I loved seeing a community come together, from the common folks to the religious. It seems like religious folks get a really bad rap in all this. Granted, some people do vote for Prop 8 and say it's due to religious reasons (see the moron quoted in the LA Times), but not all religious people are bigoted or zealots and I like that some of the pictures are able to capture that. Enjoy!

3 people testified:

weezermonkey said...

Not quite related, but I thought you'd get a kick out of the fact my good friend (who wisely married his longtime boyfriend prior to the passage of Prop 8) clerked for Sotomayor.

We are going to their wedding celebration at the end of June in San Francisco.

Violet said...

EEEEEEEEEEE!!!! I love it! They were smart to get married. My uncles didn't get married because my Uncle Rick was afraid that something like this would happen (except that they'd invalidate the marriages). He told me that their wedding in Canada and their commitment ceremony in SF some 8 years ago were enough :)

Feminist Gold Digger said...

I will gladly give Justice Moreno a free handjob the next time I see him. hee hee.