Tuesday, October 13, 2009

In The City That Never Sleeps

My slavedriving law school decided to give us poor 1Ls an extended break over the Columbus Day holiday so instead of just getting Monday off, we got Monday and Tuesday. Columbus sure did fuck over my people in Puerto Rico, but hey, giving me an extra day off school is one way to make it up to me. I also found out that a friend was having a party in New York for his birthday and, well, we have our first memo due on Wednesday so it was a perfect time to escape the hellish Cambridge bubble and go to New York City. I managed to talk my law school bff TrojanGirl into going with me so I wouldn't be alone and awkward in the city.

Now, TrojanGirl and I were already doing big things...a sectionmate of ours said we could stay with her since she was going home to NYC during the break. Then she told me on Thursday she wasn't going after all, but we could still stay at her family's apartment since she didn't want to flake last minute. And her parents wouldn't be there.


As soon as I opened the front door and saw the foyer, I knew we were in for it.


The living room. Trust me, this pic doesn't do it justice at all.


The library. Yes, I said library.


Did I mention that her family's apartment is on Central Park West? Being in that apartment was like a combination of Home Alone and Home Alone 2.


TrojanGirl and I got changed and then we traveled to the Village to hang out with my NYU friends: Pinky, Opus Dei, and Pike. NOTE: I won't be putting very many pics in here because if you care, they're all on Facebook anyway!


Here we are hanging out at Pinch. Please excuse my shirt that is apparently made out of gauze or something. I might as well have gone shirtless. L to R: Opus Dei, Violet, Pinky, Pike, TrojanGirl.


Pike and I decide to take a picture together.



When I saw this, I was like "Dude, TRY to be normal for the next picture!" and he agreed. This is what came next:


Thanks, Pike! It's less normal than the last. It's like he decided to go Blue Steel, and then Magnum on me.


Saturday: TrojanGirl and I spent the early afternoon working on our memos at the kitchen table with a view overlooking Central Park. That definitely didn't suck too much. That night was Sinatra's birthday party at Slate so we got dolled up and headed over.


Who says law school girls aren't pretty?!



This chick was doing the most. Her outfit looked like a bathing suit and she was wearing C3PO glasses. Don't get me wrong; her legs were AMAZING! But that outfit was really something else!





Opus Dei and Pinky decide to have some fun with a belt that we randomly found laying in the middle of the dance floor. How bizarre. As a friend said, "That's how David Carradine got into trouble."






Me with the gorgeous birthday boy Sinatra.



We left the club around 3:15am and headed back for the subway...but first, we stopped for a kebab. Within a minute of standing at the cart, the kebab man propositioned TrojanGirl -- offered her $100 to have sex with him. Straight up, no lie. But at least we got $2 off our kebabs. Not to be outdone, the guy in the taco truck next door called me over to flirt with me...which was (obviously) quickly nipped in the bud. In all my trips to NYC, it seems to be a standing theme that the guys there are just extra bold and say whatever the hell they want. We made a pact that what happened in NYC stays in NYC...except of course for my faithful readers!

5 people testified:

weezermonkey said...

OMG. Is your friend Gossip Girl?

(Yes, I know, not Upper East Side, but still.)

Winnie said...

Wow. That apartment looks huge! Looks like you're living it up in NYC :)

Feminist Gold Digger said...

Only $100 for sex? I guess the kebab stand isn't that fruitful.

10yearstogether said...

lmfao you said "That chick was doing the most." Hahaha! Interesting little digs you got to stay at. Glad you were able to get away for the long weekend. Sounds like you're having fun despite all the work. I'm so excited for you.

amber said...

What a fabulous break!!