Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Shopping HELP!!!

I have already started to think ahead to interview season that will be occurring in August of this year (yes, I do love to plan ahead). As sort of a joint "Congrats on finishing your first summer at a big law firm!"/anniversary present, I would like to buy a nice handbag. In making sure I select something that is reasonably practical, I have restricted myself to something that I can use during interview season with big firms. This means that it cannot be:

1. Juicy Couture (oh, how my heart aches to say that!)
2. Logo items (Coach, Louis Vuitton...you're auf'd)
3. Be too spangly, sparkly, or otherwise draw a disdainful look from older folks.
4. In a bright color. It should be black.

I am TERRIBLE at this kind of stuff. I have expensive tastes since I routinely drool over the following:


Chloe Paddington




Salvatore Ferragamo Icona Vitello Tamponato Leather Bowler Bag





The forever unhaveable Hermes Kelly



This should give you an idea of my style, I think. My price point is under $1000 (after all, I am still technically a poor student)! But I mean, if I have to be poor and a student, why not look fabulous doing it?

I know I have some awesomely fabulous, stylish friends so what say y'all?

12 people testified:

Nanette said...

I am of no use because my most expensive handbag cost me $90, and it's covered in Japanese cartoon characters.

But I wish you the best of luck on your well-deserved bag search!!!

Sarah said...

Yeah this isn't my thing as I get the most compliments on my faux leathers from H & M and Urban Outfitters but thought I'd throw out Cole Haan. He's grown up style and sometimes pretty cute. Good luck!!

weezermonkey said...

You're not gonna like this comment, but I wouldn't buy a luxury bag until my permanent job, and I most definitely wouldn't carry one during OCI.

Go simple. Go subdued. Go non-luxury.

Violet said...

Weemo: I definitely plan on getting something simple and subdued. I definitely don't want an ostentatious purse. I'd ideally like something with lines like the purse pictures above, but at the Juicy Couture price point. I don't know if that's possible, but it's what I want :).

weezermonkey said...

Yes, I know what you want. Even so, I would recommend against it.

And now I'll tell you why.

When I interview law students with luxury bags, I think, "What a brat. I don't even have a bag that nice."

But maybe that's just me.

Feminist Gold Digger said...

I say just keep any eye out for the Saks/Neimans/Bloomies sales, and/or the Gilt/Ideeli/Rue La La sample sales. I always see bags that I covet, and I usually refuse to pay full price for them. I always see nice black ones too - they aren't all boring & drab. Just don't ask 10years for any recs. Hee hee hee.

amber said...

I'm not the best purse shopper out there as my gal Kate Spade supplies most of my bags, but I think FGD's suggestion is a good one. :) I'll stay on the lookout though, if I see one that is particularly lovely.

wan said...

as much as i'm an advocate of fabulously awesome handbags, i've gotta agree with the monkey on this one. i'm not gonna lie, i totally side-eye students with mega-expensive bags.

but you still deserve a treat for yourself, so i would suggest a combo of FGD and amber's suggestions - ideeli has had some pretty cute bags on sale lately. and kate spade is way under your budget and has lots of classic bags that don't scream "i paid well into 3 digits for this thing!"

keep us posted as to what you get. oh, and i want that damn chloe bag too. heh. some day.

Jen said...

Sometimes Hayden-Harnett has good deals and nice work bags. They're high quality but not really a recognizable luxury brand, so it wouldn't look flashy.

Jen said...

FYI -- there was a cute bag on corporette today...

http://corporette.com/2010/02/18/coffee-break-linea-pelle-dylan-medium-tote/

dapotato said...

totally late, but i second the hayden-harnett and cole haan suggestions above. depending on the season, you can find more classic bags from both. plus both use some really nice leather.

Winnie said...

I personally really dig Kate Spade. How about get yourself a nice bag AND an interview-appropriate bag? :)