Wednesday, June 17, 2009

WANT: An apartment; DO NOT WANT: Homelessness

Apartment hunting in NYC is the worst. I've been straight West Coast (insert flashing gang signs here) for my entire life, so I've never had to deal with the insanity of apartments coming up for rent a mere 3-4 weeks before a move date, nor the absolute RIP OFF of brokers. I'm too anal retentive to leave my housing fate in someone else's hands, much less allow them to charge me a full month's rent (which, in NYC, is substantial).

I was checking out apartments on Craigslist trying to avoid paying a broker and found a gem. Mr. VF cautioned me not to get too in love with apartments since we were waiting to hear from NYU about student housing. Long story short on NYU: I got screwed and didn't get family housing. Apparently you're an idiot if you're married or otherwise coupled and then try to go to NYU because you're the only schmucks not guaranteed housing (singles, on the other hand, are living the dream). Also, no advantage for marrieds or domestic partners. You can be a regular ol' bf/gf (or whatever combo you desire) and get family housing. It's a clusterfuck. I digress.

So I found a great apartment (via pictures on CL) and one of my school friends living in the city was gracious enough to go by and look at it, confirming that it is indeed as awesome as advertised. We find out on Monday if we got the place, so cross your fingers, friends!








But wait...it gets better! It's closer to campus by a couple of blocks, will cost the same as family housing (once we pay for all the utilities), and is coming furnished which is what we wanted. Dear 8 lb, 6 oz newborn infant Jesus, please let us get this apartment!!

7 people testified:

amber said...

How did you not get family housing?! That is totally effed up that married couples and domestic partnerships don't get priority. Booo!

I'm keeping everything crossed for you for the apartment though. It does indeed look pretty sweet!

10yearstogether said...

Boooo on not getting family house but good luck on getting this apartment. It looks sweet!

weezermonkey said...

That pad looks FAB. I hope you get it!

Feminist Gold Digger said...

I hope I hope I hope I hope you get it!!!

Winnie said...

This apartment looks fabulous! Crossing my fingers for you.

wan said...

oh, boy! it's tuesYAY, did you get it??

Jen said...

oh man -- i am behind on my blogging.
so, i think you will understand what i mean when i say i hope you don't get the nyc apt! ;)