Monday, January 25, 2010

Braggadocious, Y'all

Since I can't talk to my school friends about this, I'll tell y'all here. Grades came out today. I was fully anticipating a low pass in Civil Procedure -- in fact, after that exam, I went home and cried. Then there was a matter of Property, a class that was horrrrrrrrrrrrible to attend. I think I took maybe 10 pages of notes for the entire semester, altogether. I spent each class period in group GChats. I was completely out to lunch in Criminal Law because my professor was a disaster. I actually tuned in during Contracts because of my love for Liz Warren and also because I enjoyed the class. The final, however, was semi-disastrous and I was seriously concerned about my grade.

This worrying was for naught.

I passed three of my classes (Legal Writing, Criminal Law, and Civil Procedure). It's a miracle of God that I got a P in Civ Pro.

I got Honors in Property and Contracts.

I further got the Dean's Scholar award for Contracts which is for the top one or two grades in the entire section. Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?! I must have logged in to the grade system a good three separate times and from different computers just to make sure that was *my* transcript I saw.

I guess I really *am* here for a reason! And, um, so much for the (often unspoken) theory that people of color are at law school without "merit".

10 people testified:

10yearstogether said...

I am not at all surprised. I'm so incredibly proud of you and happy for you. Congratulations and SNAPS again!

weezermonkey said...

That's my girl!

Nanette said...

Niiiiiiiiiiiiicccccccceeeeeeeee!

High-five!

Fist pump!

Chest bump!

amber said...

That is so awesome! I'm really happy for you. :)

It's funny, but I remember Jim mentioning by like the first month that "nobody is here for either charity purposes or daddy's money or whatever else." He thought that all of his classmates were incredibly bright and deserved their spot there. In fact, he also said he was convinced that one gal in his classes would be our first African-American female president - that she was just so beyond intelligent and articulate that he thought she would climb the political ranks quickly post-law school if she so desired.

I'm sad to hear that some people still think that folks are admitted without "merit". Seriously, that is just ridiculous.

wan said...

i am SO not surprised at this. :)

YAY!

Jen said...

I am not surprised either!! SO awesome!!!! Congrats, my dear!

Now go do something to reward yourself -- wine, massage... you know catch my drift.

Feminist Gold Digger said...

Hollllllllla!

dapotato said...

so awesome!

Winnie said...

High five! I'm so proud of you!

California Girl said...

Wow - what an accomplishment! So awesome. Congratulations, good for you!